There is something that happens to me during pregnancy which makes me just want everything Lemon and fresh. With the warmer weather that we have been having, the craving for a good Mojito also came into play. I mean, that minty freshness is really to die for. I love mojitos so much in the warmer months that I already am on a mission to find the perfect way to grow mint all year round (stay tuned for future post). And with only a few more months until the farmers markets will start to sell fresh strawberries again, these drinks will soon be on heavy rotation. So, I decided to create a Mocktail to satisfy all of those pregnancy cravings that I have been having. The problem is, I hate when those delicious muddled berries and mint get wasted at the bottom of the glass, or stuck in the straw. I got to cooking and created a recipe that uses a puree for the flavouring instead of muddling. If you don’t use the puree all at once, store it in your fridge in a mason jar so you can use it on demand (imagine it on ice cream!). Check out how to make these tasty drinks for yourself below.
- Simply Lemonade
- Club Soda
- Fresh strawberries
- Fresh mint
- Maple Syrup or Simple Syrup
- The first thing you should do is 1/4 the strawberries into a saucepan. I used the whole package
- In that same saucepan, add the mint leaves, having taken them off the thick stems. I again purchased these from the store and used the whole package
- To the saucepan, add about 1/3 cup of maple syrup or simple syrup if you like it a bit sweeter
- Simmer the mixture on stove top until the strawberries a soft and starting to fall apart
- let cool and blend into a puree when cooled enough
- Add about a thumb thickness amount into the bottom of a glass, a few ice cubes and then top with Half lemonade and half Club Soda.
- Sit in a sunny spot and enjoy.