And so ends week one of CIO (Cry It Out) sleep training with Poppy.
If you follow me on Social Media, you will know that for the past week, I have buckled down and started to crib train Poppy. So many of you have been reaching out to me since I announced that we were using Cry It Out with her, wanting to know what we were doing and how much success that we were having with it. I have been trying to get it all down on paper, but there is so much to each step that it just didn’t sound right. So I filmed a Vlog about it so check it out above.
Here is a summary of the steps we have used for both kids.
- Create a comforting environment, even if this means a room switcharoo.
- Start a bedtime routine and stick to it. Even with times because their internal clock knows
- Use a sleep sack
- If your baby sleeping in a bassinet or a dockatot, place that item in the crib so that they think that they are still in the same environment until they are used to the crib
- Leave your baby to cry using a monitor such as the AngelCare one we use to make sure she is fine. DO NOT GO IN UNTIL SHE IS ASLEEP!
- Do a dream feed by waking your baby up just enough to feed them before you go to bed.
- Stick to it!
Hang in there mama, you need to be strong because they will be so much better of a sleeper after it is all done.
If you would like to read the book that we loosely followed with Aubrey to get to this type of sleep training, head here ‘Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child’. It had been recommended to us by both our family doctor and Naturopath. What is great about it is that it teaches you how to sleep train based on their age and gives you options so that you can find what works for you and your baby.
Let me know how you are all doing with your own sleep training!