There are a few recipes that were my mom’s go-to’s especially in the winter. Beef Stew was one of them. If you didn’t know, My Dad’s father raised cattle next door growing up and as payment for my dad working in his wood mill, we would get one of the cows butchered and our freezer full to last us for protein through the winter. Stew meat was always one of the cuts our parents would have and this simple recipe that you can make in a slow cooker was great for those days where my mom had many things to do and didn’t want to think about supper.
I know many of you questioned the orange in the stew, but to be honest, trying stew without orange in it is now not as satisfying as this recipe will always be.
Simple Orange Beef Stew in A Slow Cooker
- 1 1/4 lb Boneless stewing beef
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour or tapioca flour for Gluten Free
- 1 tbsp oil or butter
- 2 cups of water
- 3 onions chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp marjoram or oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp grated orange and the whole orange
- 1 small turnip peeled and chopped into 2 cm chunks
- 5 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 cups of diced potatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- Coat beef with flour using all of the flour. Heat oil or butter in pan and add beef cooking into brown on all sides
- Add half of water to the pan and while still over heat scrape bottom of pan to loosen up any residue from the beef about 1 min.
- Pour water and beef into slow cooker with remaining cup of water, onion, herbs and spices, orange rind and 1/2 of the orange cut into quarters, carrots, potatoes and turnip ( you also have the option of leaving the potatoes out, cooking 3-4 potatoes on their own and mashing. For this, you serve the stew on top of the mashed potatoes)
- Turn slow cooker on and allow to cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- About 20 mins before serving, add in frozen peas and allow to cook
- Makes about 6 servings
Leave a Reply