In the past few months, with both the holidays, and now Valentines behind us, we are finding it hard to get back into our healthy eating regime. Usually, I am a very healthy eater. I don’t let unhealthy foods like chips and sweets into my cupboards. But, with Rob now living with us and splurging a bit on sweets over Christmas, my whole `diet` has been thrown out of whack. After discussing the pros and cons of it for months, and doing a bit of research, the Paleo Diet seems to be very similar to our usual eating habits. So… to get back on track, we are taking a 30 day Paleo Challenge. We slowly started today by packing up the delicious cookies rob had made for the freezaer, and heading to the grocery store with a list of what we can eat. We ate only Paleo approved meals and so far so good. I will keep you all informed on our journey and will share any great recipes I come across with you. The first of this was our lunch today. It was chicken lettuce wraps and was AAHHHHMMMAZING! Check out the Recipe below:
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 4 Fresh Garlic Clove, Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Pound Ground Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha Hot Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoon(s) Tamari
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Ginger, Grated
- 5 Ounce(s) Shiitake Mushrooms, Diced
- 16 Fresh Boston Lettuce Leaves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/3 Cup Scallions, Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Almonds, Sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- In a skillet, heat sesame oil on medium heat. Add ground chicken. Cook until almost done.
- Add mushrooms, scallions, ginger and Tamari. Cook until onions and mushrooms are limp. Stir in garlic, almonds, white wine vinegar, mustard, Sriracha, honey and salt.
- Serve the chicken mixture in a bowl with the lettuce cups on the plate. Let your guests spoon the mixture in the center of the leaves and then hold like a soft taco to eat.